Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Not a creature was stirring...


100_8241, originally uploaded by callaghanse.

Fed, bathed and tucked in for the night, the wee folk were told that not until the first number on the clock read six were they to awaken any adults nor lay hands on a single gift.

My nieces, aged 4 and 3, were able to grasp this concept.... sort of.

Our child, not so much.

Luckily, the wee one, Josh and I were sequestered to the basement sleeping quarters for the night. So, at 5:42 when Sir Bangs-a-lot decided to test out a new rhythm on the closet door connecting the two bedrooms, no one upstairs was the wiser.

Until we unlocked the cage and let him out, of course.

I ignored him until 6:13, as instructed. After several rounds of The ABC Song, Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, and some personal arrangements of his making, I decided to give his father a little quiet time before the flood gates were opened and Christmas morning swung into full swing.

Once free, Sea made a bee line for the stairs. To prolong the inevitable, I managed to stop him at the kitchen and force some cereal down his gullet before he made his presence completely known to the other adults and wee folk sleeping inches away.

7.6 minutes later, fed, hydrated and ready to pounce, I finally allowed Sea to embark upon and uncover the treasures lying in wait in the living room.

[patter patter patter patter].

[stop].

"Oh, YES!"

[run run run clomp clomp clomp clomp] down the hallway.

[hoots and hollers] "Look it! Oh, WOW!" [hoots and hollers]

[run run run clomp clomp clomp clomp] back up the hallway.

So, if anyone was actually sleeping before this point, they weren't anymore.

Luckily, the caffeine was flowing and no one minded... because after all, Christmas through a child's eyes is so worth it!

No comments: