Monday, December 24, 2007

Better late than never...


SMC Aquarium Sepia, originally uploaded by callaghanse.

With the holidays upon me, I tend to start to manically implode into a frenzy of mindless and unorganized activity. I'm not really sure what everyone is receiving until it lands in a bag or a box or some sort of receptacle. However, the container is not really important anymore.

It used to be... but then we had a child.

A lot changes when children become the center of your world.

We had pretty decorations and lots of tiny things to put everywhere in our tiny apartment. Granted we only had about twenty ornaments, but they were all glass!

I am creative. I am a designer. I am a crafter. I am also a Virgo. And I love and crave pretty things that are well designed and have order and organization.

I would slave over making creative gifts and try to outdo myself every year.

So, with all of this in mind, I fall completely apart at Christmas. I can't focus. I over buy or I under buy, but never just enough. I plan and plan. I make multiple lists of various themes. However, none of it seems to help.

I always fall apart.

And although my husband is the sweetest, most loving best friend a girl could ever have, he is far worse than me on a regular day with organization and planning.

I [try to] keep the schedule. I buy the gifts. I write the cards. I wrap the gifts.

He buys my gift and makes sure the Shea-monster doesn't take out the Christmas tree during his impression of a tornado chasing a bull in a china shop. So although his part seems small, it is actually a major role with very few speaking parts. Perfect for Josh!

This year I downsized. I decided that since I was having surgery the middle of December it would be a good idea if I made a few things, but no major knitting projects. Most everything else was purchased online and everyone else is getting photos of Seamus.

Who doesn't want that? right?

Everything is mostly done, except for a few time consuming loose ends.

So, as is my usual M.O., instead of staying home and getting everything done this weekend, we decided to have some family holiday fun in Boston and ride the Edaville Railroad and visit the holiday village with my aunt, uncle and cousins.

I am so glad we went, but I now have about 30 gifts to wrap; 40 Christmas cards to write, address and mail; and I still need to frame all the pictures.

It will most likely get done and be as close to perfect as I can get at this juncture.

Honestly though, it doesn't really matter because everyone should know that they are very special and loved.

Despite the fact that they're gift is a can of creamed corn wrapped in a grocery bag and tied with a bow.

Happy Holidays everyone!

No comments: