Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I haven't named her yet, but she's a beauty!

I haven't posted anything lately, because I've been busy playing with my new toy.







After using the drop spindle for 2 months, I felt like I finally had the confidence to take on a real, live spinning wheel. However, I still needed to build up my confidence in the wallet area before I finally broke down and invested that kind of money in something I "wanted" but didn't "need".

The waiting period gave me a chance to research my options and figure out what I needed and wanted in a spinning wheel and what wasn't really necessary.

Cost, of course, was a huge issue. This is the sort of investment that you don't take lightly-- at least in my opinion.

$300 is two trips to the grocery store in my mind. Or lots and lots of diapers. Or half of what it costs to heat our house for 3 months. (Scary, but true!!)

So, I wanted to purchase something that I could use now, but I would not out grow in 3 months or even a year. I realize there will probably come a time when I might need to either add on to the current wheel I have, or even possibly upgrade to another wheel in the future. But hopefully that won't be for some time.

Like maybe after I win the lotto. Or inherit a benefactor's estate. Both seriously, unlikely!

Other considerations were weight, size and durability. After all, I have a 3 year old who likes things that spin! And I also wanted to have the option of taking it with me places, so I wanted something lighter and compact.

Josh said that I am not allowed to take it on vacation with us... we'll see who wins.

Besides appearance, I also had one technical requirement. I wanted a wheel with a double treadle (two pedals, instead of one).

I used a single treadle for the majority of the time when I took a 3 hour spinning class in September. The woman sitting next to me had a wheel with a double treadle and let me try hers out for a few minutes. I found it to be a little easier to operate than the single treadle.

I have also read that it would help me as a beginning spinner. The two pedals make it easier to start and stop, plus it it is less tiring on your legs and feet. You also have to have fairly good posture because you have to sit straight in front of the wheel, which causes your body to fatigue slower, i.e. more spinning action before you feel like your limbs and joints are going to fall off your body. Yay!

So, with all this considered, I started researching my options and I found the Kiwi by Ashford.

It met all my requirements.

It's about $200-$400+ cheaper than other wheels; very light weight, about 11 lbs; compact-- it fits very nicely in the back seat of our 4-door mercury Tracer and I can fit it in my stash closet and STILL have room for more yarn... BONUS!

It also comes standard with a double treadle AND the option for double drive.
I can't actually remember how double drive works, but I think it has something to do with tension. Most new spinning wheels are designed with scotch tension, but I think this is what was used in "the olden days". I'll have to fact check this bit, but it sounds good.

I learned so much information in my 3 hour crash course to wheel spinning back in September, that I have retained a few things, but most of it is hazy. Luckily, I'm armed with some good books and the Internet, so hopefully I can fill in the blanks as I go along.

For now, my new friend is all put together and we have merrily been making yarn for the last few weeks.

Some pretty... some not so pretty.

However, I think I'm getting much better, if I do say so myself, and the more I spin, the more I can see the subtleties in thickness. I'm also starting to understand how to draft and spin at the same time with out making rope.

Really I'm just having a blast learning something completely new.

I'm still very much a beginner, but I think I might be getting ready to take on plying.

For now, though, I have about 12 ounces of roving that needs to be transformed into lovely...
or something like that.

No comments: